My own artwork: Someone in a suitcase




After almost a half year of craftwork, searching for inspiration and being creative, I finished my final piece for my art class last week. This will be the last practical project I've worked on for my art class. Sadly next year it's art theory only. The idea was to pack a suitcase and explain someone's personality by showing the things they take with them while traveling. Only the idea turned out quite differently...
As I said many times before, I'm madly in love with suitcases. Somehow the idea of taking your home with you, on a journey, appeals to me. The content of a suitcase tells something about someone's personality. I wanted to describe an imaginative person by putting their belongings in a suitcase. We had half a school year to come up with an idea, work it out, and finish it unto the tiniest details. So after finding a lot of inspiration on the web, and endlessly thinking and staring at these suitcases, I decided not to put someone's personality in a suitcase. I decided to put someone in a suitcase. I wanted to use luggage only, so no pictures or sculptures of the person self. 
I fantasized about the people I wanted to describe and let my imagination take over...

The first suitcase, with the black and white pictures, is filled with the belongings of a young-man. He lives in quite a insensitive, hard world. Women care about nothing but their appearance's and, as you can see, he's trying very hard to escape from this world. I tried to position him in a sort of desperate pose. I used many different photo's in the background to represent the world these people were living in. Next I wanted to create just that little extra touch by adding this picture in the middle of his belongings. The guy is ripping of his shirt as a symbol of his escape and underneath he turns out to be something quite different...

The woman in the brown-ish suitcase is a simple seamstress. A firm proud lady who has absolutely no one who cares about her. All she has are her anatomy drawings and her sewing-machine helping her to sew everything she'd like. But in the mean time, It turns out there's a hand placed between her legs, touching her in personal spaces. She might be something completely different than that classy little seamstress she appears to be...
In both suitcases, the pictures In the belongings are contrasting the pictures on the suitcase's interiors. That way I emphasized on these pictures in the belongings of the people. I also tried to create some harmony between the interior of the suitcase and the luggage, by using photographs.

It took me a very long time to come up with the idea, but in the end, I really liked the result. Both artworks are completely movable so you'd be able to carry them around on a journey. 
Now what do you think about them? Let me know on facebook, twitter or simply in the comments below...















Simply Style By Aldo is on: